If you are not ready or not sure about dissolving your marriage, legally separating from your spouse is an option you can consider. Separation within a marriage is defined as a physical separation. Typically, spouses live in different residences once they decide to separate. During a separation, you can make arrangements with your spouse regarding shared custody of the children, spousal support, and property rights. A qualified Albuquerque divorce attorney will inform you of your rights and the obligations that still exist during a separation.
New Mexico Legal Separation Attorney
Is Legal Separation an Option for You?
Reasons to Choose Separation Rather Than Divorce
Some people want to file for divorce right away once they decide the marriage is no longer working. Other people need more time to figure out if divorce is the right choice. In those situations, filing for a separation may be the best option. Reasons, why people choose to separate and delay dissolving the marriage in its totality, include:
- Uncertainty about ending the marriage
- Worried about how a divorce will affect the family
- Not wanting to live together or share finances, assets and debt liabilities going forward
- Not comfortable with getting a divorce due to religious beliefs
Things to Consider Once Legal Separation Goes Into Effect
There are spouses who believe that getting a separation is more cost-effective than proceeding with a divorce. Yet, many of the issues that must be resolved during a divorce also need to be addressed when the spouses decide to separate. Some of the issues that need to be discussed are:
- Child custody and visitation schedules
- Child support payments
- Reviewing assets and debts acquired during the marriage to figure out which is community property and separate property
- Spousal support
- Which spouse will be responsible for paying certain debts
- Which spouse will have access to different properties and assets
Free Case Evaluation
Need Legal Assistance From a New Mexico Separation Attorney?
Call New Mexico Legal Group at 505.843.7303 or get started with a free case evaluation.
Free Case Evaluation
2701 Arizona Street NE
Albuquerque, NM 87110
Rio Rancho Office
4351 Jager Dr., NE
Rio Rancho, NM 87102
Las Cruces Office
500 N Church St.
Las Cruces, NM 88001